Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Secret of D&D Island

I am never certain what inspires me to make certain iconic characters as D&D Encounters playable characters.  Sometimes, it comes simply because I played a game or saw a movie with a clearly doable character.  Sometimes, somebody asks for some sort of character and I find myself compelled to create it.  Guybrush Threepwood came from a combination of replaying Secret of Monkey Island while thinking about just why it is D&D has an obsession with the rapier.
My name is Guybrush Threepwood and I'm a mighty pirate!
In the end, it's all about the Rapier!
Let me upfront and say that I never understood why D&D seemed to have an obsession with the rapier.  I first noticed it in Third Edition, where rapiers suddenly became this exotic sword every thief wanted to become proficient in.  Since then, I continue to see it pop up in various capacities, always with something that makes it better than the standard longsword or shortsword.

Obviously, Guybrush uses a rapier so he's likely to be some sort of a rogue or another.  The choice to make him an Essentials Thief came about because simply because I find the stick-and-move thief more interesting than the original.  There is still the thought process of "how do I get combat advantage this turn?" but less of the fuss over At-Will attack powers.  Perhaps, a future Monkey Island character will utilize the PHB Rogue.  Le Chuck, anybody?

No comments:

Post a Comment