Wednesday, May 9, 2012

D&D: The Clone Wars (Part 5)

For those of you may have thought that I had been slacking on Star Wars character cards... You are right. I have been.  However, I went back into the Jedi foundry to see what I could dig up.  This time, I decided I needed a defender in the mix since I had not made one yet for my Star Wars: Clone Wars set of characters.  I was not fond of repeating myself using the Swordmage since lightning powers do not really feel right and I did not have the patience to navigate the other Swordmage powers.  Instead, I tried something different.

Ki-Adi-Mundi is a strange choice, I admit.  He looks kind of funny and he does not get a lot of screen time in any Star Wars.  He does have the dignity of being one of the few Jedi to present a relatively stalwart front against his clones when Order 66 is issued.  He also was in charge of the most ridiculous group of clones I have seen to date in the Clone Wars series (flamethrower troops!).  Somehow, I felt he needed representation.

Ki-Adi-Mundi.  That guy with the funny head.
Ki-Adi-Mundi, sporting Jedi forms and a Guardian aura!
I wanted to make an Essentials defender for some time.  From my experience, they appear simple yet they have a lot of interesting options.  Throw up an aura, defend your friends, but get bonuses with your basic attack (that you can use against enemies in your aura).  The jury is still out as to whether they are necessarily overpowered or not.

My experience is that they are good at what they are supposed to do.  They draw attacks away from allies and towards them.  They do not have fidgety elements like the Warden or Swordmage.  They capture what the Fighter should probably have done from the first day of 4E and did it in a way that was easy to explain.

I still work on making other types of defenders.  I still have trouble with the classic Fighter, but I hope I can get there soon.  Until then, Ki-Adi-Mundi can provide the defending you need in your Star Wars D&D campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment