Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Council of Spiders, Part 4

Dungeons & Dragons: Encounters is all about introducing new people to the game. Session 0 of Council of Spiders was last week and as an Encounters Dungeon Master, it's my responsibility to make sure new players have a good sense of what they are doing. Part of the way I have always tried to do that was by providing clear, relatively easy to understand pre-made characters for new players to use. I also have a number of player aids that help explain certain game mechanics in an easy-to-digest way.

Last week I actually had a fellow come in who had never played Dungeons & Dragons before. We went through the character building process and he was able to grasp most of what Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms was saying, but I could not help but think that when it comes time for the actual game, he will have a bear of a time with the fancy Encounters character sheet that he wrote his character down on. I thought about it and realized I could very easily whip up a character card for him that would at least simplify the character sheet interaction. From this process, Xian was born.

Whatever you do, don't call him Belgos.
Another Bregan D'Aerth mercenary joins the ranks.
As this new player built his character, I realized that he created a very slight alternative to Belgos. I considered just giving him the Belgos character card but the differences were sufficient that I thought it would be neat to turn his character into a pre-made card and share it with the world at large.

With three Bregan D'Aerthe mercenaries in my set of characters, perhaps it is about time that I look into a different type of character.

2 comments:

  1. Where did you find such a clean image of the Belgos character?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that all (or most) of the D&D Encounters pre-made character images come from 4E books. I got Belgos' picture from the Art Archive of Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms.

      Delete