Monday, April 30, 2012

D&D: The Clone Wars (Part 4.5)

Sometimes, when I am building a character card, I come up with a few variants of a card that seem just as effective.  I try to fool around with the details to find the one that works best but it does not always work out that way.  Occasionally, the differences are sufficient that I value both but they are not different enough to warrant an entirely new character.

On the other hand, sometimes the character lends itself well to multiple variants or instances.  The Clone Troopers are a good example of that.  It makes sense there would be many different varieties, different flavors, of Clone Trooper but that many of them would be similar.  I first observed this when I was building the character for what was originally "Clone Trooper" that would later become Hevy.  While researching what notable Clones used a Z-6 Rotary Blaster Cannon, I found both Hevy and Jek.

Jek, from the episode "Ambush"
Subtle differences from Hevy
The difference here is in race selection.  Hevy was a Githzerai while Jek is a Human.  Most notably, Jek has higher defenses than Hevy because he has not only the Human racial defensive bonus but also the bonus feat, with which I selected Improved Defenses.  So, Jek is very similar to Hevy but with a few different details.

Truthfully, given the Essentials Ranger's single reliance on Dexterity for most of its attacks and abilities, the Human seems a more optimal choice than anything.  The single stat bonus is all the Ranger needs and the bonus Human feat and defenses allows for greater customization and/or improvement of the base class.

Either way, this provides an alternative character for my upcoming Star Wars D&D adventure that I'll be throwing up here sometime in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment