When I began, I had a definitive idea as to what I hoped to accomplish. I imagined a classic looking console role-playing game that seemed to be suspiciously affected by a lack of budget. Of course, that idea did not necessarily translate all that well and most of it just ended up being a series of jokes about whatever games I had played throughout my life. I did fifty "issues" of the comic before concluding it. It was absurd. It was ridiculous. But, it was fun to do and I learned a lot.
A few years later, I started a similar process, trying to tie a much bigger story to the whole thing while trying to find a way to integrate the original comic into something new. I was not sure what it was I had hoped to accomplish but I worked at it. I experimented with new artistic methods, new images, and new potential ideas. I even began using peculiar art techniques as applied to output photos from The Sims 2. In the end, I never got especially far with it that time, but I did end up with a growing database of sprites that I had either extracted from various sources or began crafting on my own.
|It does have a certain Pokemon look to it.|
When I started, I wanted the box to look like something that you would expect to see in the early days of the Nintendo Entertainment System (Famicom). I spent a lot of time looking at old Nintendo game box art, trying to capture the iconography and style of that art. Honestly, it was surprising to discover how bad most of it was. However, it gave me a solid idea as to how my potential box art should look.
The end result was actually arranged in Comic Life by plasQ (which, comically, I cannot recover). Although all of the individual images were done in either Adobe Photoshop or occasionally Adobe Illustrator, I found it "easier" to do comic-style layouts in Comic Life at the time. I did not have sufficient experience working in Illustrator or Photoshop to accomplish my layout goals, so I relied heavily on the software package provided by PlasQ.
|Writing bad copy is tough, as it ends up.|
One of the elements I spent a great deal of time on was the "Adventure Series" marker that appears on both the front and back covers. The first few sets of Nintendo games had quasi-informative symbols on the cover that were meant to inform you of what kind of game you were purchasing. It took me a while to find out what kind of game a RPG would be but I finally found an image of the Metroid box cover, one of the last ones before they eliminated the symbolic system. As it ends up, Metroid was an Adventure Series game, as contrasted to an Action Series or a Sports Series. I felt this was the closest and best I would get so I did my best to recreate the symbol for inclusion on my box cover.
The reason I spend so much time introducing the background behind the Phantasy Warrior comics I throw into the blog is that the comic as it appears now is actually heavily influenced by the work I did before. In fact, although the comic does tend to have a certain amount of geek humor, a lot of the "story" relates back to what I did the first time around. Although I do not intend to fully re-release the original comic, I do expect to reference elements from it (as appropriate). It seemed appropriate to start with the epic packaging I did for the game back in 2008-09.